Complete Balanced Diet and Nutrition
A balanced diet must contain sufficient amount of carbohydrate, protein, fat, vitamins, minerals and fibre in the required amounts*,1. Each of these nutrients has a vital role in the all-round growth and development of children1,2.
Carbohydrate: Provides a source of energy. In a child’s active life style, carbohydrates are a vital source of energy to keep them active 1-3 .
Protein: Required for growth and repair. In years of rapid growth, children need proteins in adequate amounts for optimal growth 1,3 .
Fat: It is a source of energy and are required for absorption of fat soluble vitamins 1,4 .
Vitamins: Required in very small quantities to keep your child healthy 1 .
Minerals: Required for healthy teeth, bones and muscles. Significant development of teeth, bones and muscles happens by 10 years of age 1 .
Fibre: Helps maintain a good intestinal function. Fibre is not digestible and helps in bowel movement 5,6 .
*A balanced diet is the presence of these nutrients in the right proportions1.
- National Institute of Nutrition ICMR. Dietary Guidelines for Indians - A Manual.; 2011. http://ninindia.org/DietaryGuidelinesforNINwebsite.pdf(PDF 1MB) endorsed by Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations http://www.fao.org/nutrition/education/food-based-dietary-guidelines/regions/countries/india/en/
- World Health Organisation. Healthy Diet Fact Sheet No. 394. September 2016. http://www.who.int/elena/healthy_diet_fact_sheet_394.pdf. Accessed October 7, 2016.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015 – 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Edition. December 2015. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Accessed October 7, 2016
- FAO of the United Nations. Fats and Fatty Acids in Human Nutrition.; 2010. (PDF 1MB) http://www.fao.org/docrep/019/i1953f/i1953f.pdf
- Anderson JW, Baird P, Davis RH, et al. Health benefits of dietary fiber. Nutrition Reviews. 2009;67(4):188-205. doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.2009.00189.x.
- Stewart, Nathan, " The health benefits of dietary fiber consumption of adults in the United States" (2014). Graduate Research Papers. Paper37.http://scholarworks.uni.edu/grp/37